Friday 24 September 2010

Hong Kong fine Jewellery fair....diamonds diamonds...

Last weekend I went to the Hong Kong fine jewellery fair which is a world reknowed fair such as the Basel Jewellery fair. Although it is much more affordable to have a booth and therefore the prices are more competitive..  There were over 3000 exhibitors split into 3 pavilions- the Hong Kong, Indian and International.

It was quiet refreshing not to be there for a particular work mission although the only reason I could get into the fair was because I am in the jewellery trade. They were very strict with business cards, passport checks etc..but it was all worth it to enjoy the sparkle of Diamonds:).
My passion for fine jewellery is something that has got stronger and stronger over the years...to the point I wish I had focused on jewellery instead of fashion during my studies....But thanks to my job I have learnt so much regarding the jewellery industry....and hope to continue..

The main trend I saw was the use of black, grey and ice diamonds.... very popular in Asia at the moment..offering combinations of black and white or a gradation of grey diamonds. I love the large ring bands of black diamonds, so chic. 
A few concerns though.. is it too fashion driven and of course the quality of the diamond can not be compared to a white diamond...they are much more brittle. The price is yet obviously cheaper making it attractive for the end consumer but is it even worth the prices they are asking? But besides all that I still love the look!:)

I managed to see some beautiful jewellery and left feeling inspired and with a HUGE touch of diamond envy.... which I guess is natural:)!!

No comments:

Post a Comment